- sliding or losing control of my bike when descending the several hills I encounter during my route. I might try these Eight Solutions for Riding a Bike in the Snow posted by Bike Hacks.com
- loosing footing when coming to a stop and having my feet slide out from under me
- cars have less control and trusting motorists to use caution and their best judgement on the roads when driving them
- having less of the bike lanes (in some cases, none) and a margin to ride at a safe distance. The major streets are plowed but shoulders of side streets are not.
Since I am new to bicycling in the snow, I thought I would do a little research into winter bicycle riding. Below are some links to helpful articles I have found and a summary. If you have any tips to share, I would really like to hear from you!!
1) REI Expert Advice on Winter Bicycling: How to Enjoy It
2) AllWeatherSports.com Winter Riding Tips
3) BikeWinter.org (all-volunteer bicycling group in Chicago)