Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Beta of My Work Week

Without a break from my previous job, after the weekend, I started my first day of work, ready to rock and get right down to do the job. I had been informed that my supervisor will not be in the office until 10 a.m. so I had to make myself scarce for the morning until then. The doctor's appointment for her son ran later so it was nearly 11 a.m. when she showed up.

My network account had not been switched from my previous department and without me there in the morning to sign-in to Novell, the IT techs could not make any progress. Once my log-in had been figured out, it was already time to go to lunch.

Paymon's Mediterranean Cafe (Take One)
On my first day of work, my supervisor was taking several girls in her office to lunch, including me, so we can all be introduced. Since I was not picky as to where I would like to eat, she chose Paymon's Mediterranean Cafe & (Hookah) Lounge. We walked briskly across and ten minutes later, found ourselves a the restaurant.

I had never been to the restaurant, only the Mediterranean Gourmet Market adjacent to the cafe. Once we stepped in, the wonderful smell of lunch wafted out the door. The restaurant was packed full of people having lunch. From their attire, I could tell they must be from nearby businesses. When I didn't think they could fit any more people in that restaurant, we were seated immediately in the courtyard.

We started with a plate of creamy hummus and the softest little pillows of warm pita bread to dip with. I washed it down with a cool glass of Arnold Palmer.

Of course, I had to try the gyros with a side of Athens Fries. All I can say is was so flavorful and the meat so tender. YUMM!!!

Boy was lunch delicious!

After lunch, we headed back to the office. My supervisor had a meeting to attend so she asked that I entertain myself for do homework for the hour and a half while she is gone. Then 2:30 p.m. rolled around and it was time for me to head to class. She had told me I could leave for the day after my class ended at 3:45 p.m. but since I had an evening class to hang around for, I insisted on returning to the office. So for the remaining hour, she gave me a tour of the office, this time introducing me as the new hire when before, I had toured as a prospective hire.

That was my first day and the rest of the week went pretty easy like this. I had a lot of time to myself while my boss was in her meetings. Another day, I needed to turn in my paperwork to Systems Admin across campus so she let me off at 3 p.m. to do so and then study in the library. Usually, she leaves 10 minute until the end of the day to pick up her son from the rec center and so she said I could also leave early so that I could beat traffic (which was such a blessing). And because the classes I take during the middle of the day is longer than my alloted lunch hour, I had felt an obligation to make up the time by staying late or coming into the office earlier but to that, my boss said the time is fungible because there will be times when we'll be working our butts off.

To sum it up, I had a pretty easy week and started to train in the areas that I will be responsible for. I am learning a lot of new things and it will take some time to adjust to a new environment but I think I will be okay.

I did miss my old office though. Not seeing the usual smiley people every day. Most of all, I miss the coffee we use to brew every morning. But I just put flavored creamer in my coffee mug and my boss and I would walk over to the Starbucks in the Student Union nearby to get our fix each morning.

Paymon's Mediterranean Cafe (Take Two)
So Friday, after a cluster meeting with the other divisions of Student Life, I went to lunch with Janice and Shaida. Janice earned her doctorate through my last department and is teaching part-time for the University. Shaida is an undergraduate student, like me, and we also share an interest in collecting make-up (though she is more of a make-up junkie--hands down!).

They took me to Paymon's Mediterranean Cafe (wow, I must be so lucky to eat there for the first and second time in my life--in one week!). I had no problem with that since my first visit was just great.

We were seated in the hookah lounge. You have to see the virtual tour. The mood and decor of the place made me feel like I was in our own lounge at home (except we do not have quite the huge bar as Paymon's). Shaida had split pea soup and warm dolmos (pictured here) while Janice had the chicken caesar salad.

I ordered the chicken pita (chunks of boneless, skinless chicken breast marinated in herbs, broiled and served with lettuce, tomatoes and their homemade Tahini sauce) wrapped in a warm Greek-style pita bread. I almost ate it all!!

When Friday ended, a couple of co-workers from my previous department, Jonelle and Rolanda, asked if I wanted to eat at the dining commons on campus. I accepted as it would be a good chance to catch up on things. Plus I haven't seen them for a week and it would be nice to see familiar faces.

We sat in the dining area, ate, and chatted until almost 8 p.m. when they had to leave to attend a play and I had to go home to my sweetie and start the weekend. I have never been so spoiled with food and friends in my life! I was a great week!!

Make-my-own salad at the dining commons.

Baked pollock, hush puppies, and mac & cheese.

My version of McDonald's soft serve chocolate ice cream on a cone!

No comments: